To be a successful roofer, like those roofing Crystal Lake trained specialists, you need technical knowledge as well as specific skills and abilities – here are the most important features and qualities you will have to possess:
- An excellent sense of balance – roofing work is done at heights and any mistake or insecure step can end in an injury, so you need to be able to move comfortably up there;
- Dexterity – roof work also involves the usage of various tools, so a good roofer has outstanding dexterity and is able to use a variety of devices comfortably;
- Physical fitness – roofing jobs are physically demanding, so you need to be very fit to be able to work up there;
- Attention to detail – a good roofer needs to be able to detect even the thinnest hairline crack or the tiniest damp spot;
- Technical knowledge – no two roofs are the same in terms of slope angle, design, joints, cover material and structure and a good roofer needs to be able to choose the best method to address the roofing issue he is facing. The professional knowledge required from roofers includes some knowledge of mathematics, physics as well as knowledge about the different roofing systems, roofing materials and fasteners.
You can train to become a roofer through apprenticeship programs offered by large construction companies or by starting work with an experienced roofer who is willing to pass on his knowledge and experience.